NANHRI Meets NHRIs On SOGI Project
Following the adoption of Resolution 275 during the 55th Ordinary Session of the African Commission on Human and People’s Rights in 2014, the Network of African National Human Rights Institutions(NANHRI) initiated a project to strengthen the capacity of African National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) to respond to violence and discrimination faced by persons of diverse Sexual Orientations and Gender Identities (SOGI).
In the pilot phase which would end in November 2018, the NANHRI SOGI Project is engaging five NHRIs from Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Malawi and South Africa, at the Fiesta Royale Hotel in Accra,with a view to assisting them respond to SOGI-related violence and discrimination.
Overall Objective: The overall goal is to review the implementation of the NANHRI SOGIProject.
- Highlight findings from the 5 NHRIs and evaluate the extent to which responses towards SOGI related violence and discrimination have been integrated into respective institutions.
- To serve as a learning exchange platform for the 5 NHRIs on effective strategies to expand the protection space for sexual and gender minorities.
- To serve as a forum to consolidate project activities and strategies for the next project cycle.
Key Expected Outcomes:
- Deepened understanding of what has worked, what has not worked in the pilot and what can be done to improve the next project phase.
- Increased knowledge on how NHRIs can utilize the Universal Periodic Review and Regional Mechanisms as opportunities to advance SOGI-related work.
- Increased awareness of how NHRIs can utilize the implementation guidelines of Resolution 275 to advance their work.
NANHRI is a regional membership organization of African National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) whose Secretariat is based in Nairobi, Kenya. NANHRI works towards strengthening the capacity of NHRIs in Africa to assist them in fulfilling their mandate of protecting and promoting human rights as stipulated in the Paris Principles. The Network achieves this through its Secretariat that coordinates efforts amongst the NHRIs by linking them with other key human rights actors both at the regional and international level. NANHRI has a broad mandate to address all forms of human rights violations.